Monday, June 12, 2006

Choices

The Federal Marriage Amendment failed in the Senate last week, in a great part due to the following thought process by various Senators: "Of course I believe that marriage should be the union between one man and one woman, BUT I believe that this matter should be left up to each individual."

My thoughts? Everthing a person does is based on individual choice. We all have choices to make each day. I choose not to smash into the side of an idiot driving next to me on the interstate, pull over and strangle him because it's wrong. It's also illegal. I choose not to steal bacon and eggs from the grocery store no matter how hungry I am. Why? Because it's wrong. It's also illegal. I choose to hold my son and coerce him to take life-saving medicine even when he resists. Why? Because I want him to get better and live to grow to be a strong .

Marriage is the foundation upon which every society in the world is based - the best medicine for a healthy America. I believe that marriage should be protected in order to preserve natural families and provide the best environments for our children. I believe it is the responsibility of our lawmakers to support measures that will maintain best practice in any given area, so I am greatly disappointed in last week's FMA vote.

No comments: