Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's in Your Clothes Basket?

My friend, Mrs. Bickerson, wrote about going to an art exhibit where a " . . . girl had made a self-portrait with multiple exposures of film with an old camera. She made herself look like a ghost. A naked ghost. A friend of hers emerged from the other end of the line. He dropped off a cat skeleton that he had exhumed and wired together. I think he considered himself a bit of a green artist."

Speaking of naked - I once was in a meeting with a person who offered to show me a few sketches he had drawn. "They are nudes," he said, "Just wanted to tell you in case that would offend you." I should have taken that as a warning, because on about the fourth sketch I noticed that the pencil-drawn nudes had turned into an elaborate sketch of a naked man in a clothes basket.

"That's me," he said. "It's part of my self-portrait series."

I said, "Yes it is!" and continued to pass the sketches around the table. Why did I do that? Why did we keep looking at them? I'm laughing right now just thinking about it. Naked is funny - and completely inappropriate - and funny!

No comments: