Friday, July 18, 2008

The Tale of Two Children

My friend Lisa just called (the one who was in my dream) and asked where I was yesterday morning. The phone call she had with Quinn went something like this:

Q: Hello?
L: Hi, Quinn. Can I talk to your mom?
Q: Well, let me see if I can find her. (walks around the house) Nope I can't find her. Let me see if there is a car here. (walks outside to the garage) Nope there's no car here. She must be gone.
L: Do you know where she is?
Q: Nope
L: Is your sister home?
Q: Well I don't think so. I didn't see her. She must be somewhere with Mom.
***********************************************************************************
You know, I'm happy that Quinn is secure and easy-going. He must get that from his father.
***********************************************************************************
Listen, I don't just leave my children alone. In fact, I had a specific conversation with my son only minutes before that went something like this:

M: Quinn, I'm leaving to take Rachel to (this certain place).
Q: Uh-huh
M: Look at me. I'm going to be gone for about 20 min. Will you be OK here by yourself?
Q: Yep.
M: Don't answer the door. Don't answer the phone unless it's me or Dad. Don't eat anything while I'm gone.
Q: Gotcha, Mom.
***********************************************************************************
Let's contrast that story with the time when Mike and I told Rachel we were going for a walk.
***********************************************************************************
M: Rachel, we are going out for a walk. You and Quinn stay in the house and don't answer the door or the phone unless it's us. OK
R: Where are you going? When will you be home? Turn on your cell phone. What should I do if the laundry beeps? How many minutes will you be gone? I'm going to call you if you aren't home in 20 minutes.
M: Calm down! I'll have my cell phone with me and we will be in the neighborhood.
R: (calling 19 and 1/2 minutes later) Where are you? I've been wondering when you'll be home. You said you'd be home in 20 minutes!

No comments: