Thursday, March 19, 2009

Aunt Claire

I remember one Thanksgiving watching my sister's boyfriend eating a large piece of pumpkin pie. Aunt Claire had baked it herself and she sat close by the young man as he kept shoveling it in. I noticed that he kept adding more and more whipped topping to each bite, and continued to smile as Aunt Claire observed. Later, we learned that the pumpkin pie tasted awful! Aunt Claire had forgotten to add the sugar. Indeed, the omission of one ingredient can ruin the entire recipe.

Martin Luther declared, "If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all the battlefield besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point" (The God Who is There, Francis Schaeffer).

No comments: