Friday, October 06, 2006

Malapropisms

Don't know what that means? Read on . . .

Boy: "Mom, I'm gonna pull the best FRANK on Dad!!!"

Mom: "Do you mean 'PRANK?' or are you talking about a hotdog?"

Boy: "Whatever! I was walking near the house with the trees in a line (I have no idea where he's talking about) and I saw a poor little cat that looked like he had been ADOPTED so I tried to pet him."

Mom: "ABANDONED? The cat appeared to have been neglected or poorly taken care of?"

Boy: "Yeah. ADOPTED cats are so cute. So I tried to take him up to the house with the trees in a line by the smooth road where my old teacher lived (Still no idea where he's talking about and wondering how he got so far from home without me knowing and why he's associating with mangy old cats.) . I rang the doorbell and asked them if this was their cat and they said yes and the cat ran inside."

Mom: "Thank you for caring about the cat, but don't go around ringing doorbells anymore. Now go wash your hands. It's time to eat."

Dad: (walking in the back door from work) "HEY!!! I'M HOME!!!!"

Boy: "Hey, Dad, are you ready for a good FRANK?"

Commentary: One never knows when early language delays will creep back to the surface.

No comments: