Thursday, March 22, 2007

When a CD is not a CD


I took Quinn to the bank to deposit his birthday money. It's never a particularly easy thing for him to do because he knows he will not see that money until he's in college - and even then, the moment will be fleeting as he hands the cash to the book store cashier.

Today, I noticed a sign at the bank for a 6-month CD and seized the opportunity to teach my son about interest. Quinn and I sat with the bank man, who explained how a CD works, we transferred money from his savings account, then signed papers in triplicate.

Obviously, Quinn did not understand entirely because as the bank man stood up, Quinn inquired loudly, "HEY! Where's my CD?! Give me back my money! You said I was going to buy a CD! This is just a letter in an envelope!"

I felt a strange feeling as if I had landed right in the middle of a Mary Poppins video, but was able to calm the child long enough to get him in the car.

No comments: