Friday, September 26, 2008

Great Grandma Stash

Rachel received a card in the mail today from my mom. On the back of the envelope it said, "This card is from Great Grandma's stash." I understood that to mean it is one of the many all-occasion cards from my late great grandmother's collection. (We've taken to sending them now instead of just storing them.)

Rachel asked, "Mom, do you know this great grandma?" I said yes and explained who she was exactly. Rachel's eye's got bigger and she exclaimed, "Well, isn't she d e a d ?!" I said yes, since 1986. Then Rachel took a deep breath and wondered aloud, "How do you think she knew I was getting basketball shoes this week? And that I had a cold?"

It was at that moment I realized the problem. Rachel thought the card was from some Great Grandma Stash. We don't have one of those. We shared hearty laughs for many minutes, then reviewed the rules for possessive s ('s).

No comments: