Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Ago

On September 10, 2001 I drove to my last day of work at a local hospital. (I had previously given my two-week notice by fax while I was at home with my children, who were both recovering from e coli infections.) After work, I drove to my kids' childcare center and found Quinn (then 3 years old), sitting on the playground bench and having an asthma attack. I quickly gave him an albuterol treatment, but it did not help. I was able to contact Mr. Rellim (who was on his way to Des Moines) and he returned home to take care of Rachel so I could take Quinn to the ER. At the ER, the doctor patted us on the head and sent us home. Three hours later, Quinn and I were back at the ER, where he received the care he needed.

We got home a little before 1 am. I unloaded my car and wrote a lengthy letter to the childcare center. I then re-packed the car for the new job that I was starting - later that morning. I must have gotten a couple hours of sleep (in between giving Quinn breathing treatments every two hours), but I can't be sure. At 7 am, with Mr. Rellim on the home front, I began the 50 mile drive to my new job, turned on the radio, and heard about the terrorist attacks.

The day was a blur for many reasons. I do remember seeing gas for $5.50/gal at our local Hucks and thinking I had chosen a heck of a time to start commuting. I do remember wanting to go home, lock the door and begin my life as an agoraphobic. (I probably would have done that if I hadn't been working part-time.) I remember Rachel coming home from Kindergarten, asking about "bad guys who crashed planes into tall buildings." "Didn't they get hurt or hurt other people?" she wondered, "Why would anybody do that?" I remember assuring her that all those bad guys were gone. I remember physically restraining Quinn in order to get the liquid prednisone into his mouth. I do not remember falling asleep. I guess we were all hoping that it was a bad dream.

Looking back, though, I realize we gained a new appreciation for family, a greater love for the Lord, and a renewed sense of patriotism. And although these attacks threw some into a panic, I think it actually had the opposite affect on me. I was finally convinced that I was not in control. (Yes, I just said that!) I started to give up the idea that I could personally control everything and everyone around me or that I was solely responsible for doing so. The events of that month really drove me closer to the One who is in control.

No comments: